July 19, 2009

"asi es"

Training has been a whirlwind of activity so far. We are currently in our host family/training sites. I have the wonderful opportunity to be my host family´s first PC trainee - I hope I give her a good impression of us. The country is an amazing place, full of great food, fruit, people and vistas. As in any new culture, there are little quirks to get used to, but one piece of advice we were given was "asi es" and I think that that is very apt to my situation. "That´s the way it is" I don´t see this little missive as a cop-out, or an avoidance of the situation, but instead, I see it as a path to understanding. By recognizing that some things and my culture and their´s are just the way they are because they are, I think that will lessen my culture shock later on. I am looking forward to challenging myself to learn more about myself and this culture every day. So far so good!

Oh, and one week down. Not that I´m counting down, but just because it´s flown by so much.

1 comment:

  1. Carol! Glad to hear you're doing well. Miss you lots, but I'm happy to read your blog so I can get a good idea of what you're up to! I plan on making many lemon bars in the near future, all in your memory of course. <3

    ReplyDelete