August 31, 2009

let the good times roll

I can't believe that two months have almost passed. This week we are finishing up training and getting ready to head to our sites. Thursday we will all travel to San Sal, Friday we will meet our community counterparts, and then be sworn in at the U.S. Embassy and then Saturday we travel to our sites. I am technically in the department of San Miguel, but am also really close to the department of La Union. I will be about 25 minutes away from the city of San Miguel, which is the second largest city in El Salvador. It's nice that I will be close to a larger city where I can get lots of crazy food so that I can cook whatever I want! I will be the first volunteer in my site, which is exciting, but also a little nerve-racking. I will be working with a school of 500 kids, which is larger than my high school! Though hopefully that means that there will be more resources available to me in terms of energy and ideas from students and teachers alike.
This entire experience has still not settled in for me, I think because for me it doesn't feel like anything has started. I'm not in my site yet, I don't have my house set up - I'm still floating around in training land. I think once I meet my counterparts and move in, this whole two years dealy-bob will begin to sink in. I am so grateful for my wonderful homestay family in my training community and I can't wait to visit them again for holidays and family occasions. I only hope that I can have as good, or even better relationship with my homestay family, neighbors and counterparts in my site.
I am a little bummed because all of my friends from my training community are assigned sites on the other side of the country. The good thing is that I will be able to travel and get to their sites within one day if I want. It's also a good excuse to go and see more of El Salvador. Being close to San Miguel also means that people can get to me pretty easily as well, so maybe I will have vistors! (Peace Corps and otherwise.)
Even though I'm two months in, I really feel that this journey is just beginning. I will try and update again sometime soon, but I don't know how my internet will be in my new site. Wish me luck! Thinking of you all.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats, my dear! Have a wonderful last few days with the group and *best* of luck as you settle into your new home. I can't wait to hear all about it! Miss you lots! xoxo K. PS: 500!?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol! Sounds like you're on the verge of the ready, set, & launching point...Best of luck as you turn the page and start a new chapter.
    Admittedly, I've been following your e-mails and, more recently your blog>> so it is about time for me to fess up and let you know you've got another fan in the D-hall following your groovy moves!
    Wishing you all the best for your next steps,
    Ben
    p.s. Let me know about the availability of Duck
    Phat in your San Miguel shopping tiendas! If you can't find any, there's always FEedEx!

    ReplyDelete