December 11, 2011

exploring

I love discovering cute little hole-in-the-wall type places. And what's better than finding a couple city blocks lined with them!?
I'm obviously not the first person to discover Paseo El Carmen but it is a relatively new place for hanging out, and therefore it feels like I'm "discovering" it with everyone else. The Paseo is a couple blocks of walking friendly streets, lined with small bars, restaurants, art galleries, cafes, stores etc. and it's about a 5 minute drive away from my new house. About a year ago, the mayor began encouraging development of this area, complete with wide sidewalks, nice street lamps etc. And the change has been incredible.
Last night some friends and I went out to try a new bar and the whole Paseo was packed! The streets were closed to car traffic, so food vendors had set up in the street, along with artists, used book sellers, and street performers. There was a constant flow of people walking around, exploring, and greeting one another. Families, foreigners, locals, couples, youth and older people - all enjoying the incredibly pleasant atmosphere. Most of the bars and restaurants set up some additional tables and chairs in the street, so the whole area had the feel of a street fair.  There was live music on lots of street corners. It's really nice to find a place that feels homey, comfortable, and walkable. A nice treat in any city! I'll definitely be exploring it more.



1 comment:

  1. Totally. There is a lot you can do in urban planning. I'm glad that they are starting to do districts down there. It's amazing how putting a little care into an area completely changes things. Now, if they'd do transited oriented development in San Salvador as they have with the bus rapid transit in Bogota. I think I'd actually like to make my career as a consultant for developing these types of places in North and Latin American. Nice post. Hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete